Monday, November 26, 2007

I smell snow...

Lorelai: Wait, close your eyes and breathe. I smell snow.
Rory: Ah, it's that time of year.
Lorelai: Can't you smell it?
Rory: You know, it's like dogs and high-pitched noises. I think it's something only you can smell.
(Rory sits down next to Lorelai and pulls a blanket over the both of them)
Lorelai: I love snow.
Rory: Really, I had no idea.
Lorelai: Everything's magical when it snows, everything looks pretty. The clothes are great. Coats, scarves, gloves, hats.
Rory: Thermal underwear, wool socks, ear flaps.

Today, we were walking outside to the portable classroom that we use for our dance club at the Methodist Primary School in Richmond and Mirjam said, "It smells like snow." All I could think about was Gilmore Girls. And my mom. (we always watched Gilmore Girls together).

I've heard rumors that there has been some snow in dear ol' Michigan and I want to be where the snow is. Snow is so fresh, clean, white. It's like my friend Nick says, every major religion has a holiday around the winter solstice because it's a place of new beginnings. There is no snow here in England. Life feels stale. I feel as though I am at a standstill, knowing the next step but being unable to take it. And in the time I've spent waiting, all I get is rain and gloom.

I know that what I'm doing here is important. I know that I'm touching lives. I know I'm supposed to be here, even if for just a bit longer. Perhaps I'm more sentimental because of this wretched cold I've come down with, but I'm ready for snow. I'm ready for something fresh, something bright, something clean. I'm ready for new.

Bring on the snow.

0 comments: